Fitting in my skin

August 21, 2015 0 Comments A+ a-

Size. Does. Not. Matter.

I keep reminding myself of that when I'm out shopping or sitting at home thinking of working out. I think of working out more than I actually work out, #storyofmylife.

I have always struggled with my body image, like almost every American girl out there thanks to our advertising and "society norms"

The shocker? The more I think about it, the more I am comfortable with my own body. I used to be a size six, but now I'm ranging from an eight to an eleven. Do not assign a specific size to your body and stick by it, a size eight has never felt more comfortable rather than slinking in a size six. Manufactures make clothes very differently, you might be a size eight in American Eagle jeans but then you're a size sixteen in H&M (this is actually true). Try clothes on based on how it fits, not on the size. If it's too tight, chafing or clingy--go a size up. Always. If it's too loose and so forth, go a size down! Duh?

This was me at my lowest weight back in 2012. I wore a size six-seven. Sorry Gee-Gee, I know this is a horrible picture of your RBF, you still look gorgeous though!

I first noticed my body started changing after I left RIT in December, probably because I was sitting around a lot more--but my body started changing in other ways. This was the universe telling me to bear children, and I said/and still am saying a harsh "no, not now" back. I threw out all of the jeans that don't fit me, regardless if my fitness regimen allows me to fit in them some other day, I'm left with two skinny jeans that are in size eight and they're SUPER comfortable. They might be slightly stretchy, thanks Target!

I've always struggled finding shorts thanks to my thunder thighs, but I found size eleven to be the most comfortable, and it was pretty shocking to see the size that actually fit me--but who cares? It fits, it feels amazing and I LOOK amazing. What else do I need? My boyfriend loves me regardless of my size, there's more of me to love.

My bust...I won't even get started with this but other than I love my bust more than anything. I used to hate it all the time, struggling with finding a cute bathing suit, a cute but yet more coverage bra and a less cleavage-y shirt--but now, I just embrace it. I found shirts that fit my bust better, I found incredible full coverage bras that fit like a glove, and I found bathing suits that I can rock.

It's time for our society to stop focusing on sizes, and start focusing on what makes us feel amazing in our skin. Let it be bigger clothes, or let it be more expensive clothes--whatever makes you feel INCREDIBLE is worth it.

Here's a picture of me currently size hopping between an eight and an eleven.
People honestly come up to me and go "are you sure you're an eleven? You look incredible!" I know I do, and I dress to look incredible! Between the two pictures I show, you can barely tell the difference or the weight I've put on. I've barely put on any weight (between those two pictures, I've gained around only 15 pounds), my body has just dramatically changed. It's time to stop judging people on their size and start embracing their big hearts and personality.

Of course, this goes without saying that I do have my days where I hate how my clothes fit my body or when I feel like I've eaten too much that day. Nobody is that positive about their body, but I'm working towards the body image I want and how I want to feel about my body. The struggle will always be there, but the best thing to do is to stay positive and steer clear of ill-fitting clothes!

#BeYOUtiful.

(Now Sara, stop thinking of work outs you could do and go actually do them.)

EDIT: After letting this post simmer for a while on my scheduled timeline on Blogger, I want to say that a lot of my conversations with ladies out there revolves around weight, feeling bad about one's self, and a lot of body shaming. I admit this, I partake in those conversations--but lately I see myself trying to steer away from those by providing compliments about the person overall instead of complementing them on their body.

It is extremely hard to get somebody's body image into a positive frame, but I'm positive if we're more encouraging about our own bodies first rather than being negative, we'll be able to help others with their body image. It's not going to be an overnight battle, it will be a lifetime battle. I can only hope it will be easier for my future daughter (if I ever have a girl) to cope with her body and love herself the way she's born.

Again, not everybody has the same ideal body image, but we can help others realize they're beautiful just the way they are. My fitness goals don't include weight loss but it includes toning and feeling in shape aka feeling great. If I lose weight during the way of my fitness regimen, then good! It's not a priority.

Thank you for leaving a comment! I look forward to read what you've just said and I will respond in a couple of hours!