Challenge accepted!

August 19, 2015 0 Comments A+ a-

At the beginning of the year I decided I wanted to finally start and complete a Goodreads Reading Challenge. I set my goal for 20 books this year (a pretty low goal, I know but I have to split my time between books and Netflix--how could you just choose one!?), and I'm more than half-way there and it's only August! Insert London Tipton "yay me!" here. (Ok fine, here you go. So very disappointed there's not very good gifs of this out there.)

Join me in the challenge, but honestly is it even a challenge when you're reading books? I think not!

So far I have read (click on the links for summaries on Goodreads):
  • The Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy 1, 2, 3; yes, I regret it. I regret watching the movie even more. I won't even bother summarizing it up for you or even give it stars.
  • Tumbleweeds by Leila Meacham; ✮✮✮✮, very Friday Night Lights (TV version aka the best version, Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!) and at points a thriller novel. Great book to sit by the fireplace with!
  • Saltwater Kisses by Krista Lakes; ✮✮✮, very cute short book about a romantic meeting on the beach. Great beach read! I'll read the rest of the series and get back to you!
  • Nickel Plated by Aric Davis; ✮✮✮, very interesting read--a little hard to get into but it got very good. It's very anti-heroic!
  • The Good Braider by Terry Farish; ✮✮✮✮, unique way of reading a book--I usually despise free versed books, but this was so compelling. A tale of girl being relocated from Sudan to Maine, a story of readjusting to American norms. Very good!
  • Sara's Game by Ernie Lindsey; ✮✮✮✮, I got this book for free (and most of my e-books) using BookBub, so this was one of the daily deals...It was much better than I thought it would be. I'm noticing a trend in thriller books for me this year, but this is no Gone Girl but it's good!
  • The Walking Dead, Compendium 1; ✮✮✮✮✮, no question about it. I've been a faithful watcher of the TV show, and it's refreshing to read the graphic novels. So different than the show, treat yo' self and read the volumes!
  • The Walking Dead, Compendium 2✮✮✮✮✮, of course, I had to do the second collection. I read most of the two compendiums by the pool. Perfectly short and quick to get through, you can't stop your page turning!
  • Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult; ✮✮✮✮✮, Oh. My. God. You can't bash Jodi here. You just can't. So very haunting, when I put this book down I had to stop reading for a couple of days because it just stuck in my head. One of my favorites by her, hands down.
    • Further evidence, see my Goodreads review here.
  • Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen; ✮✮, by the far MOST disappointing book I've read by Sarah Dessen. Might re-read it in a couple of months and see if my opinion changes. The least relevant character build ups happen in this book. Maybe Dessen's storylines has run out of steam. Just...no.
    • Further evidence again, here.
  • Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn; ✮✮✮✮, Ok... I have some good things to say about this book and a lot of bad things. It was extremely hard to get into but when you were into it, it was good! Very Gillian Flynn-esque ending with a shock twist. If you've read Gone Girl, you'll know her style of writing is very hard to get into, her characters are not relatable--and I don't think they ever were meant to be. Still worth a read!
    • Read Gina's review on this book over at her blog (and give her a follow too!).
  • Where She Went (sequel to If I Stay) by Gayle Forman; ✮✮✮, I had such high hopes for this sequel (maybe that's what ruined the Saint Anything book too...) that I was just left...disappointed. I liked seeing the world through Adam's eyes, but nothing tugged at my heartstrings as hard as the first book did. I would suggest you read If I Stay and leave it at that.
  • Dark Places by Gillian Flynn; ✮✮✮✮✮, Wow. This was MUCH better than Sharp Objects, I was effectively mind blown as I approached the final 100 pages. Creepy, screwed up and very compelling. I finished this book the other night and as I'm writing this I can't stop thinking of this book. So crazy and pretty screwed up, don't read this if you have a light stomach!'
That's it so far! I have a couple of books on my shelves waiting for me, do you have any recommendations? Are you going to challenge some of my reviews, please do! I would love to hear what you thought of any of the books above!

Upcoming (as of what is on my desk right now):
The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
The Girl On the Train by Paula Hawkins
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Onward by Howard Schultz

Thank you for leaving a comment! I look forward to read what you've just said and I will respond in a couple of hours!